PL | EN

Speech:

Inclusive Education in Today’s Taiwan

Inclusive education in Taiwan has been developed based fully on the national legislations and local government policies. The Special Education Act was first enacted in 1984 and was recently amended in 2009. This national law clearly mandates zero rejection, inclusive education, and flexibility in curriculum and assessment. The practice within local governments and schools follows these regulations pretty well. Currently, based on the Annual Report of Special Education Statistics in 2013, 93.73% of all students with disabilities received their special education services in general education schools and the remaining 6.27% in special schools ranging from primary to high school levels. When comparing the statistics from 2003 and 2013, there is about a 1.61% increase in the regular education placement for students with disabilities in Taiwan. This chapter discusses the budget subsidy policy, teachers’ training, curriculum and instruction, special education support in the general education classroom, and the perspective of parents’ organisations with regard to inclusive education. Using case study examples, one local government and one junior high school programme are presented to illustrate the implementation of inclusive education in Taiwan. For meaningful inclusive education practices, early intervention and high quality teaching are the future goals.

Prof. Su-Jan Lin

PhD., Chairwoman of the Special Education Department National Kaohsiung Normal University